Home WORLD NEWS Coronavirus: Fifth death in Italy amid hunt for COVID-19 superspreader The number of people infected with COVID-19 has jumped to more than 200 in Italy, where five people have died.

Coronavirus: Fifth death in Italy amid hunt for COVID-19 superspreader The number of people infected with COVID-19 has jumped to more than 200 in Italy, where five people have died.

16 min read
Comments Off on Coronavirus: Fifth death in Italy amid hunt for COVID-19 superspreader The number of people infected with COVID-19 has jumped to more than 200 in Italy, where five people have died.
0
96

A fifth person has died from coronavirus in Italy, where cases have soared over 200 – as Austria assembles a special taskforce to consider border controls.

A dozen towns in Italy are in lockdown as authorities race to contain the biggest outbreak of coronavirus in Europe.

More than 200 people in Italy have been infected with COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus – and there have been at least five deaths over the past 48 hours.

The latest victim was 88 years old and was from the northern Lombardy region, Italian media reported, making him the fourth victim in the area.

A train stoped by authorities stands on the tracks at the train statin on the Italian side of the Brenner Pass, Italy,
Image:A train stopped by authorities on the Italian side of the Brenner Pass

On Sunday evening, Austria refused entry to a train coming from Italy after the Italian State Railways informed Austrian train operator OBB that there were two people with fever symptoms on board.

“Tonight a train on its way from Venice to Munich was stopped at the Austrian border,” Austria’s interior ministry earlier confirmed.

The operator later confirmed to Sky News that all train traffic to and from Italy had been suspended – but the suspension was lifted after a few hours.

More from Covid-19

  • Coronavirus: The infection numbers in real time

  • Coronavirus: China uses nets in drills to tackle obstructive patients

  • Coronavirus: Anger over new UK patients who were cleared to fly

  • Anger among returning Britons as they’re told four people on plane had COVID-19

  • Coronavirus: Evacuees released from two-week quarantine in Milton Keynes

  • NHS starts testing suspected coronavirus patients in their own homes

A police officer patrols on a platform at the train station on the Italian side of the Brenner Pass, Italy
Image:A police officer patrols on a platform at the train station on the Italian side of the Brenner Pass, Italy
A general view shows a deserted street in Codogno, southeast of Milan, on February 22, 2020
Image:A general view shows a deserted street in Codogno, southeast of Milan, on February 22, 2020

Concern has also been expressed by the French director of health Jerome Salomon, who said the situation was “worrying” and warned of further cases in France because of its proximity to Italy.

He told the France Info radio station that “anyone returning from Lombardy or Veneto with symptoms must be considered suspicious”, but said there were not yet any plans for border controls.

However, officials did intercept a coach from Milan to Lyon over concerns one Italian on board might have the virus, having displayed flu-like symptoms.

Police put up a security cordon around the bus and moved the passengers into an area of Lyon Perrache bus station, where they were isolated from other travellers, and the person showing symptoms was taken to hospital.

Germany has said it is not considering border closures.

A man wearing a respiratory mask looks on in the subway, in Milan, on February 23, 2020. - Tens of thousands of Italians prepared for a weeks-long quarantine in the country's north on February 23 as nerves began to fray among the locals faced with new lockdown measures
Image:The affected Lombardy region includes Italy’s financial capital, Milan
In pictures: Coronavirus ghost towns in Italy

In pictures: Coronavirus ghost towns in Italy

In developments elsewhere:

Empty supermarkets as coronavirus hits Milan

Lombardy or Veneto, both in the north of Italy, have ordered schools and universities to close for at least a week, while museums and cinemas have been shut and the last two days of Venice Carnival called off.

Sky Italia reporter Tonia Cartolano, reporting from Cordogno, just south of Milan, said the situation was “really serious” but that authorities were working well to prevent the virus from spreading.

“The response of the government has been fast,” she said.

“We are trying to contain the virus and I’m sure we are doing it in the right way.”

Residents wait to be given access to shop in a supermarket in small groups of forty people on February 23, 2020 in the small Italian town of Casalpusterlengo
Image:Residents wait to be given access to shop in a supermarket in small groups of forty people on February 23, 2020 in the small Italian town of Casalpusterlengo
Tourists wearing sanitary masks walk in downtown Milan, Italy
Image:Tourists wearing sanitary masks walk in downtown Milan, Italy

Despite the measures being put in place, foreign governments have advised against travel to the affected regions.

The Irish foreign ministry updated its travel advice website on Monday, saying: “There has been an increase in the number of confirmed cases of Coronavirus in Italy… Citizens are advised not to travel to affected areas.”

The UK government has not yet issued any specific advice about the situation in Italy.

Residents shop in a supermarket in small groups of forty people on February 23, 2020 in the small Italian town of Casalpusterlengo
Image:Residents shop in a supermarket in small groups of forty people on February 23, 2020 in the small Italian town of Casalpusterlengo
Tourists wear protective face masks in a gondola, because of an outbreak of coronavirus, in Venice, Italy February 23, 2020
Image:Tourists wear protective face masks in a gondola, because of an outbreak of coronavirus, in Venice, Italy February 23, 2020

The first Italian fatality from the virus this weekend was a 78-year-old former construction company owner, who died in Padua in the Veneto region.

A second patient – a 77-year-old woman – died hours later in Lombardy, while another woman with the virus in the region died on Sunday.

The fourth victim was an 84-year-old man from Bergamo, according to Sky News Italia.

At least three of the victims had been suffering serious underlying health problems, officials have said.

The regional governor of Veneto, Luca Zaia, said he had dealt with several natural disasters during his career, including floods and earthquakes, but “this is the absolutely worst problem that Veneto has faced”.

Almost a dozen towns in Lombardy and Veneto, with a combined population of about 50,000 people, have effectively been placed under quarantine.

People queue at a supermarket outside the town of Casalpusterlengo, which has been closed by the Italian government due to a coronavirus outbreak in northern Italy, February 23, 2020. REUTERS/Guglielmo Mangiapane
Image:People queue at a supermarket near Casalpusterlengo, which has been closed in the wake of the outbreak

Residents have been urged to stay home and special permission is needed to enter or leave the designated areas.

Four Serie A football matches were postponed in the wake of the virus outbreak, while the Women’s Six Nations match between Italy and Scotland was cancelled.

The biggest jump in cases of COVID-19 was reported by authorities in Lombardy, which includes the country’s financial capital Milan, with 90 cases confirmed.

A person wearing a face mask rides a bicycle in the town of Codogno, which has been closed by the Italian government due to a coronavirus outbreak in northern Italy, February 23, 2020. REUTERS/Flavio Lo Scalzo
Image:The town of Codogno has been closed by the Italian government

Authorities have expressed frustration they have not been able to track down the source of the virus spread in the north of Italy, possibly by a so-called superspreader.

It surfaced in the region last week when an Italian man in his late 30s in Codogno became critically ill.

“The health officials haven’t been yet able to pinpoint Patient Zero,” Angelo Borrelli, head of the Civil Protection Agency, told reporters in Rome.

A man stands outside the San Siro stadium after the Inter Milan v Sampdoria Serie A match was cancelled due to an outbreak of the coronavirus in Lombardy and Veneto, in Milan, Italy, February 23, 2020.REUTERS/Daniele Mascolo
Image:Inter Milan’s match with Sampdoria has been postponed due to the coronavirus outbreak

At first, it was widely presumed that the man was infected by an Italian friend he dined with and who recently returned from his job, based in Shanghai.

When the friend tested negative for the virus, attention turned to several Chinese people who live in town and who frequent the same cafe visited by the stricken man.

But Lombardy governor Attilio Fontana told reporters all of those Chinese people had tested negative, too.

Some reports from Italy say Patient Zero may have been identified as a 60-year-old man from the Vicenza area, who has been in Cordogno and other centres in the Lodi area.

Italian police officers are seen inside the Brennero-Brenner train station in Italy after the train left, February 23, 2020. REUTERS/Leonhard Foeger
Image:Italian police officers are seen inside the Brennero-Brenner train station in Italy after the train left, February 23, 2020. REUTERS/Leonhard Foeger

Such is the concern surrounding the Italian outbreak, Mauritius has blocked some visitors from the country.

An Alitalia plane landed in Mauritius on Monday but some passengers and crew opted to return straight home, after being told they would have to go into quarantine because of local concerns over the virus, the airline said.

Some 224 passengers and crew had been aboard the flight from Rome to the Indian Ocean island, but 40 people from the northern regions of Lombardy and Veneto decided to go back.

Following the developments in Italy, the European Commission has announced a €232m (£195m) aid package to help member states and the global effort to tackle the outbreak.

Coronavirus: How to avoid catching and spreading COVID-19

Coronavirus: How to avoid catching and spreading COVID-19

While most cases and fatalities are still being reported in China, other countries have continued to step up their precautionary measures – with about 380 foreigners having been quarantined in North Korea.

Diplomatic staff are not being allowed out of their compounds in the reclusive state or to leave the country – including the British embassy, Sky News understands.

And another 70 more cases have been confirmed in South Korea, bringing the total number there to 833.

Carabinieri officers stand guard outside the town of Castiglione D'Adda, which has been closed by the Italian government due to a coronavirus outbreak, Italy, February 23, 2020. REUTERS/Guglielmo Mangiapane
Image:Officers stand guard outside the town of Castiglione D’Adda

More than 2,470 people have been killed by the coronavirus outbreak, most of them in China.

There have been more than 79,000 suspected and confirmed cases of COVID-19 worldwide, with China revealing on Monday that more than 3,000 of those were members of its medical staff.

:: Listen to the Daily podcast on Apple PodcastsGoogle PodcastsSpotifySpreaker

Load More Related Articles
Load More By administrator
Load More In WORLD NEWS
Comments are closed.

Check Also

Harry and Meghan reveal the name of their new charitable organisation; Piers Morgan reacts

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have announced plans to launch a new charitable organisatio…