The family of Fausat Amole has demanded justice for her after she got electrocuted by a high tension wire that fell from an electricity pole in the Shofolahan area of Ijeshatedo, Surulere, Lagos State.
Eyewitnesses told PUNCH Metro that joined high tension wires, which sparked for few minutes, caused tension in the area, adding that the force of the spark separated the wires, one of which fell on a container being used as a shop.
A fashion designer in the area, Joy John, said the current on the fallen wire, which was passed onto the container, electrocuted Fausat, who was said to be sleeping inside the container that she was using as a shop for her local herbs business.
The 38-year-old Akwa Ibom State indigene said, “The incident happened around noon on Sunday, January 20, 2019. I was inside the shop when I saw the high tension wires sparking and burning on the pole. As they were burning, one of the wires fell and landed on Fausat’s container. She was sleeping inside the container when the wire fell on it. She was electrocuted instantly.
“A lady, who was also sitting beside Fausat’s shop, was also electrocuted, but she survived. Some minutes after the wire fell, there was an outage, but the damage had already been done. It was when there was power outage that we were able to rescue the other lady, who had fainted; she started breathing later on and we gave her milk. But it was too late to rescue Fausat.
“In fact, we rushed her to a private hospital, where she was rejected, and later we were told to rush her to the Randle General Hospital. When we got there, we were told that she had died.”
The husband of the deceased, Wasiu, said Fausat’s death was due to the negligence of the Eko Electricity Distribution Company, adding that if the wires had not been joined, the events that led to the death of his wife would have been averted.
The Oyo State indigene said, “I am saddened by my wife’s death. I was at a client’s place in Ikotun when I received a call that my wife got electrocuted. At first, I disregarded the news and put a call through to another person, who confirmed the incident. I immediately left what I was doing and went straight to her shop. When I got there, I was told that she gave up on the way to the Randle General Hospital.
“The wire that fell on my wife’s container was joined with others on the pole and when the wires sparked, they cut where they were joined together. If the EKEDC had used a direct wire instead of joining wires together, my wife would still be alive, because the wire would not cut into two. So, the fault is that of those in charge of electricity supply.
“The family and I have taken her remains to her building site in the Ifo area of Ogun State, where she was buried. We have also informed her aged parents; I really don’t know how I am going to take care of my children alone.”
When PUNCH Metro visited Fausat’s place of residence at No. 3 Sanusi Street, off Baruwa, in the Ijeshatedo area of Surulere, a neighbour, Abiodun Oyebisi, who said officials of the EKEDC were not on the ground when he visited the scene, added that those in charge of power supply to the area should take care of the deceased’s family.
Oyebisi stated, “I was at home when a man came to inform our landlady that Fausat had been electrocuted. We quickly went to her shop, but surprisingly, we did not see any official of the EKEDC there. The incident happened around noon and by 3pm, the wire was still there. The EKEDC people can’t say they were not aware of the incident, the news was everywhere.
“What we want them to do is to assist the family in taking care of the four kids she left behind. It is not going to be easy for the husband to carry the burden alone.”
When contacted, the Public Relations Officer, EKEDC, Victor Nwihim, said investigation into the events that led to the death of Fausat was ongoing, adding that an official statement would be made when the facts of the incident had been ascertained.
Nwihim stated, “We have to do our own investigation and come to our own conclusion before I can talk to you. The wire fell, yes; we know that the wire fell. What happened? Why did it fall? Was there a fault? What caused it? These are the things that need to be determined before we can make a statement.
“So, I am not going to make a statement without getting the facts; that is not how it works. This matter happened on Sunday, but we have been on it since Monday, so by tomorrow (Wednesday) or latest Friday, we should have a report.”