in

Van Gogh painting worth £5m stolen from Dutch museum currently closed due to coronavirus

A painting by Vincent van Gogh has been stolen from a Dutch museum currently closed due to the coronavirus pandemic.

 

The museum was closed on March 2 in line with national measures to halt the spread of the coronavirus.

 

Police said the painting with an estimated value of up to £5m was stolen on Monday at the Singer Laren Museum in what appeared to be a smash-and-grab from the front entrance.

 

During a press conference broadcast on Youtube, the museum’s director, Jan Rudolph de Lorm, said he was “incredibly pissed off” after thieves stole the painting, which had been on loan from the Groninger Museum.

 

De Lorm said: “This is exactly what you don’t want as a museum that has a painting on loan.

 

“A beautiful and moving painting by one of our greatest painters, stolen from the community … This must come back as soon as possible, so that we can enjoy and be comforted by this beautiful art again. Art deserves to be seen and shared by us, the community.”

 

Arthur Brandt, an art detective, told the Algemeen Dagblad newspaper that the artwork could be worth up to €6m (£5m).

 

The painting was stolen on the day Van Gogh was born 167 years ago.

 

Written by administrator

Yesterday, Donald Trump delivered a bombshell by announcing that the United States government will not pay for the security of British Royals Prince Harry and Meghan Markle amid their reported move to the US from Canada. President Trump was reacting to report that the pair have relocated to Los Angeles after their initial plan to permanently reside in Canada. Despite the long-standing reciprocal agreement between the United Kingdom and the United States when it comes to bodyguards protecting US diplomats and members of the Royal family, Trump says he won’t be granting the pair that privilege as they are set to complete the final stage of ‘Megxit,’ meaning they won’t be classified legally as British Royals. He wrote on Twitter: ‘I am a great friend and admirer of the Queen & the United Kingdom. It was reported that Harry and Meghan, who left the Kingdom, would reside permanently in Canada. Now they have left Canada for the U.S. however, the U.S. will not pay for their security protection. They must pay!’ Prince Harry and Meghan Markle respond to President Trump after he said they must pay for their own security in the US Prince Harry and Meghan have now responded to President Trump, insisting they have no plan to ask him for help with security costs after the president said they must pay. They instead revealed that a privately funded security arrangement has already been made. ‘The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have no plans to ask the U.S. Government for security resources. Privately funded security arrangements have been made.’ A spokesperson for the Sussexes said. The couple were said to have arrived in the US with their 10-month-old son Archie to start a new life in Los Angeles as they both hope to profit off merchandising while Meghan plans to restart her Hollywood career.

Let her go and die in my house – Nigerian dad threatens to take his daughter out of an isolation center over poor treatment by staff (video)